This installation brings together a selection of works by De Crayer and underlines his close ties to the city of Ghent.

Born in Antwerp in 1584, Gaspar de Crayer’s artistic development was influenced by Peter Paul Rubens, Jacob Jordaens, and Anthony van Dyck, which does not mean that his works were a slavish imitation of those of the masters. He owes his reputation to his talent as a painter of portraits and religious scenes, as well as his compositional skill. Until the 20th century, he was considered one of the major Baroque painters next to Rubens and Van Dyck.

Very early in his career, he received commissions in Ghent, where his works can be found in churches, convents, and at City Hall. After the French Revolution, several of his works were integrated into the collection of what would become the MSK. De Crayer’s works can also be seen in St. James' Church, St. Bavo’s Cathedral, St. Peter’s Church, and City Hall.