Castle of Gerald the Devil
Geeraard de Duivelsteen
In the neighbourhood
In 1488, Maximilian of Austria took advantage of a weak point in Ghent’s defences to seize the city.
To solve the permanent lack of space, a modern building for the law courts was built on the edge of the city.
The two towers still date from the Romanesque period but since then the church has undergone much devastation, expansion and renovation.