Despite the name and its grim appearance, the devil has never resided in this 13th-century fortress.

Through the centuries, it has been used as a knights’ residence, an arsenal, a monastery, a school and a bishop’s seminary. In 1623, it became a madhouse for the mentally ill and a home for male orphans. Another part of the building was used as a prison or detention centre.