Koningin Astridpark, at Lousbergskaai, just a stone’s throw from Portus Ganda, has been a favourite hotspot for locals since 1949. This park covers an area of almost one hectare and includes a lawn, a playground for children aged 3 to 8 and a small pond.

The park was created by merging two large gardens, the domain of the De Groote villa and the property owned by Piers de Raveschoot. In 1793, architect J.B. Pisson built the De Groote villa in the Empire style. Around it, the owner created a beautiful pleasure garden with typical English landscaping elements, a pond and a Robinson-inspired island, lots of romantic winding paths and majestic trees.
The villa has been a protected monument since 1990 and currently houses the Parks department of the City of Ghent.