The two painters of the Ghent Altar Piece have their backs turned to the Cathedral’s Vijd chapel, where the painting was originally displayed.

This grand monument was placed here for the 1913 World Expo, which was held in Ghent, as an ode to the painters. Men, women and children bring flowers, wreaths and garlands. Hubert, the oldest of the two brothers, looks through the pages of the bible while his palette and brushes lie at his feet. His brother Jan, meanwhile, looks straight ahead while holding his palette.